The Bottom Line
This all-natural, uplifting, castile soap from Citra Solv, which supports groups like PETA and Leaping Bunny, contains certified organic aloe vera, olive oil, and essential oils making it suitable for body and household care alike! Read on for all the details about how this product fared in terms of safety, environmental friendliness, and more.
- Effectiveness: Excellent cleaner
- Environmental Friendliness: Eco-friendly, biodegradable product
- Safety: Non-toxic, safe product
- Scents: Four scents available
- Company transparency: The ingredients are fully disclosed on the label
- Certifications: PETA, Leaping Bunny
- Additional Product Information: The MSDS is not on the company website
- Sizes: Only one size available
- Type: All-purpose liquid soap; castile soap
- Size: 16 fl. oz. (473 ml.)
- Scent: Fresh Ginger
- Cost: $7.99 (depending on the retailer, the price can be as much as a dollar or more cheaper)
- Ingredients: Water, potassium cocoate (coconut), potassium tallate (tall oil), glycerin (palm oil), certified organic olea europaea (olive oil), fragrance oil (certified organic peppermint oil, eucalyptus oil, spearmint oil, almond oil, vanilla extract depending on fragrance), certified organic aloe barbadenis (aloe vera).
Shadow Lake Castile Soap is made by Citra Solv. Over the past 25 years Citra Solv, which is an independently owned company, has evolved from making earth-friendly and safe commercial cleaners to residential cleaners, including its original all-purpose cleaner, dish detergents, laundry products, window cleaners, air fresheners, drain maintainers, and more. Citra Solv's company philosophy is to use naturally derived products made from renewable resources that are eco-consciously packaged so that they have a minimum impact on the environment. It supports environmental causes with its own program, Rustle the Leaf, and as a company believes in reducing its carbon footprint. In addition, it supports animal rights and doesn't do animal testing. Information about its philosophy, social responsibility, and more can be found on the Citra Solv website.
The warm and zesty scent of this fresh ginger castile soap helped revitalize my cleaning routine! I got some serious cleaning done and enjoyed using it for general all-purpose, green cleaning. I found it worked fabulously in my homemade castile soap spray and all-natural cream cleanser. Best of all, the scent was so uplifting and pleasant to use it was great for cleaning anytime of day, but was especially wonderful for evening cleaning because it gave me that little bit extra of energy needed!
In addition to general household cleaning, the manufacturer suggests using it as a cloth diaper soap, body wash, hand soap, shaving soap, fruit wash, and more! For other ways to use castile soap in cleaning, check out the article "Use Castile Soap to Clean Your Whole House from Top to Bottom!"
Health & Safety
This non-toxic, botanically based product is made with all-natural plant extracts, fragrances, and oils. The ingredients are fully revealed on the product label and all of them are very green, so you can feel rest assured it's a safe product for you, your pets, and your family.
The manufacturer suggests keeping the product out of reach of children and if eye contact occurs, to rinse the eyes thoroughly.
This biodegradable product does not contain any artificial dyes, fragrances, preservatives, petroleum-derived ingredients, or harmful chemicals, so it's definitely an eco-friendly product. Plus, the packaging is recyclable.
The fragrance of this product was a nice change from the other castile soap on the market, but if the fresh ginger scent doesn't sound appealing to you, there are three other scents available: Vanilla Almond, Peppermint Leaf, and Eucalyptus Spearmint.
This invigorating castile soap is definitely a green product, very effective, and available for much less than the suggested retail price at several stores, so it deserves a full, five-star rating. I strongly recommend you give it a try for your eco-friendly cleaning needs and while you're at it, try it for all its other great uses, too!